[Nfbaz-news] Legislative Call to Action

Donald Porterfield donaldpfield at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 04:24:44 UTC 2016

Hello Federationists,

Once again, critical action and fast reaction is needed by National
Federation of the Blind of Arizona.  There are two pressing issues that need
our immediate attention.

The first issue demands our attention today.  We are advocating in support
of a budget line item of over 4 million dollars added by the Governor to VR
services.  The current general fund allocation is only 3.5% of what we need
to draw down our allowable federal allocation.

While the Governor remembers the importance of Vocational Rehabilitation
services, the Legislature does not.  We need to let the members of our joint
legislative budget committee know that we want them to honor the Governor's
budget line item increasing funding for Vocational Rehabilitation Services.

Both the Arizona House of Representatives and Arizona Senate Appropriation
Committees are holding hearings this week to discuss the budget.

I am attaching a fact sheet put together by the disability committee that
will give you talking points.  I am also attaching a contact sheet with all
the emails and phone numbers so that you may contact representatives and
senators to urge them to support the increase in state funding for
vocational rehabilitation.

Below is a sample message that can be used.  If possible, please personalize
the message.

Please include the Governor's increased line item for Vocational
Rehabilitation services.  Every dollar included in the VR budget from the
state of Arizona brings in 4 dollars for services to disabled Arizonans.

Every dollar spent in Vocational rehabilitation services gives back 7
dollars once disabled Arizona's are back to work.

You only need one or two sentences.

Please copy me on the emails you send.  I will keep track on how many
messages we send.  Also, should you decide to make a phone call, please send
me an email detailing the call and who you talked to.

The second issue addresses another service animal bill being advanced in the
Arizona Legislature.  For the time being, it appears that we have prevented
the legislature from trying to advance a bill that is contrary to existing
federal laws.  We will update you on the work we are doing to modify another
bad service animal bill.

Finally, stay tuned for an announcement for a Phoenix seminar.  We will be
moving up our date as this legislature is working very quickly.

Thanks for all you do to help build our federation and improve the lives of
blind Arizonans

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Donald Porterfield

First Vice President and Legislative Director

National Federation of the Blind of Arizona

donaldpfield at gmail.com

520-850-2180